06/08/2008

Abstract

If sociology journals used the same abstract format as medical journals, what would a sociological theory article's abstract look like?

Objective: To make myself look like a great intellectual. Oh, by the way, I object to this technocratic, reductionist and oppressive abstract format which is not suited to my free-flowing style of thinking. Data: Are you joking? Methods: Thinking very, very, hard. Deeply. Then writing stuff down. Making sure my sentences are not too short and that I use lots of obscure terms. Using common terms in an unusual definition, which I keep implicit. Results: Society's really complex. Conclusion: I am a great intellectual indeed.

***

More sociology humour: How many sociologists does it take to change a lightbulb? And then there's the hilarious soc2econ april fool's blog from the Scatterplot crowd. I particularly like this contribution.

No comments: