29/09/2008

Strong Feelings

You probably know the distinction between your ideal self and you real self. In case you don't, a simple example is that many people would like to weigh 80 kilos but weigh 120 kilos. A similar thing goes for psychological stuff. I, for one, would like to be interested to death in the current financial mess, but I simply ain't. I should be, given that it's quite possibly going to affect my life, but it just bores the pants off of me. I hence didn't look at the clip linked to at this post.

But there's something in the post that interests me. Namely (my emphasis):
I don't know much about economics, but it's important to me to have some strong opinions about it anyway. If I have a strong opinion about something, that gives me a good feeling that I have some minimal understanding of it
I say hats off for writing that. I'm pretty sure that 99% of humans, including myself, are like that, but no one ever admits it.

No comments: