18/04/2010

The Obligatory Volcano Post

1. Could you make it up? A Volcano explodes on Iceland, and it's called Eyjafjallajökull. Good heavens! How regrettable that in Germany you can't just give your child any name you like. Fortunately, in other countries you can. News stories to be expected between now and the end of the year. Also, on this very day, more than 100 unmarried and childless males between 12 and 30 years of age have thought the thought: "Cool! I'm going to call my [band/webpage/whatever] 'Eyjafjallajökull'! How wildly original!"

2. Seth Roberts is looking at the postive side. Don't miss the possible connection to the names thing above!

3. Today I left a mildly pedantic volcano-related comment at libertarian hangout Marginal Revolution. About five minutes later I thought: "Ah, someone's going to mistake my purely factual statement for a normative one and come back with Milton Friedman's Answer to Everything." It's a bit creepy when it actually happens.

No comments: