25/05/2011

Aligned Preferences Are Suspicious

I don't like complaining to businesses. I find that whole process mildly degrading and would rather silently take my money elsewhere in the future. When a girlfriend doesn't like the clothes I'm wearing, she's welcome to shut up about it; after all, she can leave me if she doesn't like the package deal. I was once threatened with dismissal by an employer if I didn't agree to new conditions and found that totally morally unobjectionable, given that I was free to look for a better job. In Hirschleiferian terms, my preferences are low for loyalty, low for voice, high for exit.

I also often favour more market-like solutions than most people; that is, the kinds of solutions that promise to deliver good outcomes by making exit relatively attractive due to an abundance of alternatives. I like to think that that's based on a cool-headed appreciation of the information available to me, yadda, yadda. But that view would be more convincing if it did not align so neatly with my general preference for exit options. Now you go and think about your own views.

No comments: