1. Google for and download SpotifyInstaller.exe v. 0.9.7.16, the one just before this horrendous new pile of puke.
2. At this point, you should naturally check the file for viruses.
3. Double-click the downloaded file to install.
4. You'll be told that you already have a version of Spotify installed and asked whether you really want to re-install. Yes, you do.
5. Then find the location of the current spotify.exe, usually C:\Users\
6. Open this directory and do all of the following there.
7. Create a new empy text file.
8. Name it Spotify_new.exe
9. Right click the file and check the appropriate box to make it read only.
10. Create another new empty text file.
11. Name it Spotify_new.exe.sig
12. Right click the file and make the file read only.
Note. In one case, I had to overwrite to save the text file in the directory, in the other, I had to manually delete the file which had the same namme as the newly created file. I forget which was which.
Apparently the trick is that, upon closing, Spotify tries to create new files that have the names of the files it created, which would then be used to install the update. But it cannot, as the files are read only. Hence, no updates.